Thursday, July 9, 2015

Distorted Chambers In The Realm Of Dreams - Chapter 11

Airplane Anxiety

A reoccurring dream I recall has an eerie end that is always right at a critical point. I can relate certain 'same dream' episodes in the way one might return to the same exact place, but the dream pattern being a little different as to the way one might approach the place in that dream. However the end and everything leading up to the end is exactly the same. I only have a very limited number of exact reoccurring dreams, and the few that are have almost always involved either airplanes, traveling, or roadways that lead in unusually angled turns and degrees. Like a maze or a multitude of obstacles.

There are several dreams where I'm going onto an airplane, and always the air pressure inside of any airplane I board is very tight and I feel as though I'm being crushed by so much atmosphere. It's really bizarre but I cannot travel the way of airplanes in dreams. It's much faster and easier without them. But in some dreams I cannot go to certain places without them and it's only something in my psyche that's left over from how things work in the waking world.

But this dream is the one that has the same ending and the last time I dreamt this it was nearing the winter of 1997.

I was trying to get through the airport and I was trying to sneak onto a plane because someone was following me. A murderer, or an agent or spy. Moments passed. I was sitting in the window seat and felt as if though I had been forced onto the plane and wondered if I should get out now. Having no idea where I was going, I stayed in the tiny seat as it seemed safe there for the moment. Everyone else on the somewhat crowded plane didn't know I was there, they couldn't even see me. But I was there.

I looked around and everyone was carrying on, reading magazines, talking and laughing. I looked up at the ceiling and I had this horrible dread. I didn't know what it was and I wasn't sure if it even had anything to do with the airplane. But I felt my stomach tying into knots and I was breaking out in a cold sweat.

I looked around at everyone again and now they're all alert! About what, I didn't know, but something had them spooked. For a tense moment there was dread silence and then they all relaxed and went back to what they were doing. The pilot announced that we'd be landing soon. I knew that wherever it was, we'd be landing and it wasn't the right place. I thought lay-over. The plane started to descend and I looked out the window. There was a city down below that seemed like someplace in the mid-country for the green fields all around the distant runway.


There were big, luxurious hotels here and there. The city seemed clean and rich. There were 15-16 floor apartment buildings and there were various white puffs of cloud in the sky above them. One particular apartment building had a white roof and was built in the shape of a hexagon, with balconies on each floor and on each side of the structure.

The plane began to descend lower and lower, almost so close to the tops of all the buildings that it must have roared to the people in them. I knew something was wrong, but couldn't do anything. It was either the place to be landing or something else that I couldn't imagine at the moment, but just when the sense of that horrible dread deepened, and there was an answer fast approaching, I would always awake.

Three times this dream I've had. It always ended right before the plane landed wherever it was going to land. But I knew it wasn't the runway.

No comments:

Post a Comment