Saturday, June 27, 2015

Distorted Chambers In The Realm Of Dreams - Chapter 23

Grave Road

A vast green field stretched out over miles of area. In what seemed like the south part of the field, a young woman was standing there singing. It was a familiar song, the American anthem. She emphasized on the notes rather than the words. The words were changed somehow.

I walked back along the grassy field. Eventually I came upon a small dirt road that lead to a series of houses, or to another part of the perimeter that lead to a town. Off to my right stood a house. There were no ill vibes about it, just that it seemed to be covered in night and its white edges outlined the frame as it stood alone and quiet. The fence that was built around the large hill-like front yard looked as though it had frost, although it was very warm outside.

I turned away and continued south. There in the middle of the dirt road appeared to be a grave. An old man already in it, half buried. Only his head could be seen. He was face up and his body was under the soil so I couldn't tell if he had fallen through or was laid in his grave that way on purpose. It did seem as if he had been caught in an avalanche of earth and it buried him alive.


Only a portion of his face could be seen. His left eye edging towards the dirt. His swollen, deathly face showed his eyes to be horribly swollen and bugging out a bit. I saw that he was still alive. But barely. I walked up to him as other people began to rush up to see what had happened. Some people kept their distance. I began to clear away the dirt and soil from around the eye area, jaw and mouth, thinking he would breathe better but something told me not to even touch that thing.

I backed away as some other people ran up to him in an attempt to save him. I felt outwardly that it was a foul thing, buried there like that for a reason. Inwardly I felt no connection to whoever it was. No recall, no emotion whatsoever. In the sight of death I saw nothing. No ill on my part to have been in any way affected by this one way or the other. I didn't know who it was, and I didn't see or have any knowledge of what had happened but I felt that it was just. It neither bothered, upset, or pleased me.

I walked a few paces away, then turned to look again upon this buried man. For what seemed only a moment, I knew he was already dead. The decaying color of his features and stone cold bony face revealed that he had been dead for quite some time. He had no soul even in life. I thought, at most it was odd, even vaguely unnerving, that I would see the finality of it all.

The other folk that looked on the face more closely to examine the strange illusion I had just witnessed, tricking them into thinking he was still alive, finally declared in mingled voices that he was indeed dead. The corpse's tongue began to slip out of the mouth in an oozing, rolling-like pattern. It was a black, leathery thin texture, but it was wide and kept rolling out as if it had been rolled up inside his throat in massive layers.

At last death comes to one whose evil deception is shown on his face, and whose tongue was endless with lies. Graphic and yet benign, as it was. No one will mourn such an evil monster.

February 25, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment