Thursday, June 25, 2015

Distorted Chambers In The Realm Of Dreams - Chapter 25

The Fountain Of Blood And Water

A vague outline of a story unfolded here. Whatever it was, it had already happened when I stood in these unfamiliar surroundings. There stood a fountain in the middle of an old village that had been modernized into a small town, while still keeping most of its original setting. Overhead, the full moon hung in the sky menacingly.

A college was nearby for the university sprawled out in walkways, a library and other buildings. The fountain in the center of it all was round and was about fifteen feet in diameter. The water sprung from high-placed portals that were shaped like statues of gargoyles. It was night all around me. I looked down a few abandoned streets. I noticed that I was standing next to a street lamp looking on all of this. The night shadowed everything and although a full moon was in the sky, it offered no light upon the grounds. It was hard to see anything outside the glow of the lamplight. Piercingly, I heard a wolf's cry break out in the eerie, quiet air. A chill ran up my spine as I quickly leapt up to the streetlamp and then ducked into a nearby window.

I was looking for cover because a werewolf was approaching the town. Suddenly I spotted a few scattered people running from different streets. One man stopped in front of the fountain and tried to hide in the running water. I saw the werewolf approach the fountain. He was grizzly and huge, his coat bristled with wrath. I watched in horror as the beast ripped the man in the fountain apart. I looked away and felt numb and cold. Then I heard the wolf run off after someone else. Rigidly, and afraid to move a muscle, I looked back toward the fountain. The water was reddened and riddled with strewn bits of clothing and flesh.

I was searching for a better place to hide when I heard someone say that I should not fear the wolf. Wondering where I really was and not knowing the exit, I clung to a solid object. I saw a tall and sinister dark man walking towards the fountain. He had no fear of the wolf although he could clearly see the condition of the fountain and had to have known there was imminent danger. Then I thought that he was the werewolf. To my surprise he looked in my direction and spoke something to me. I couldn't understand what he said but I got the impression that if I went to the fountain, I would die.

I was inside a building now. The main building of the college, I thought. I was going up some set of stairs that turned into a ramp. The place was completely abandoned. The lights were all off and all the doors were locked. Then I found that I was inside some kind of cold, massive church building. I walked hurriedly about checking for any unlocked doors. I didn't want to be questioned, or worse, accused of breaking and entering just because a werewolf was on the loose. The inside of the church was decorated in red, and long halls that seemed to be designed to intimidate the poor and weak. There was more of a feeling of death within the building than there was outside where the wolf lurked.

I came upon a choir of children, they were mostly of ethnic backgrounds. They were all singing in a robotic way the words: Jesus loves me, this I know, for the bible tells me so.

I passed them and remained aware that the wolf was still out there somewhere. The wolf had taught them the song as they mimicked howling from under their breath. I turned around to see them again and they weren't really there. I was seeing some sort of playback as they were already dead. It gave me the creeps and I shuddered.

I looked on the face of a thirteen year old boy and all the other children, much younger, who were standing with him. They were all looking at me with a blank, zombie-like stare. As I backed away, there were suddenly a set of unlocked doors and I went through. No one was going to follow me or let loose any shrieks for the wolf to hear, or to alarm any other being. I was finally escaping, because they were after all, already dead. And it never felt like they would have ever come after me or alert the wolf to my presence. I noted they were all wearing red winter coats that looked to be stained with death.

Running past the fountain, I saw that the water had returned to normal and there was no sign of any foul event and there was no moon in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment